Sunday, July 20, 2008

And The Newest Stamp In My Passport Is. . .

. . .Norway!

Last weekend I hopped a Turkish Air flight to Oslo, Norway to spend some over-due quality time with Jason (yes, I'm seeing someone and yes, he lives in Oslo and yes, he is the aforementioned Jason). Oslo is a city built for meandering. Parks and statues and fountains lead from one to the other; taking you from one end of the city to the other. So that's what we did - we followed the parks and the statues and the fountains to from the bed and breakfast past the Royal Palace, down to Aker Brygge, over to the new opera and ballet house, and through Vigeland Sculpture Park. It was an incredibly relaxing and focusing weekend that went a long way in helping me get my head and heart around the events of July 9, 2008.

Oslo's beauty is the polar opposite of Istanbul's - where Istanbul is chaotic, an organic maze of streets and buildings and mosques, Oslo is orderly, it's plan deliberate and straight forth. They are so different that at times I found it impossible to imagine them existing on the same planet, on the same continent. And yet here they are, these two opposites, growing, changing, filling the role of Home for their inhabitants, existing beautifully.

The trip to Oslo was also the maiden voyage of my new camera - a Nikon D40. We had a great time trying it out, playing with features, and figuring out what all those settings do.

The first Official Picture of my Nikon D40


Vigeland Sculpture Park (at 11:00pm - the land of the midnight sun)


Me and Jason at the Oslo Opera and Ballet House