Wednesday, July 9, 2008

In Memory

To the brave police officers who died or were wounded this morning at the U.S. Consulate General Istanbul and their families - you are in our hearts and prayers.

This morning, three gunmen attacked the police checkpoint at the entrance to the consulate. They shot and killed three police officers, wounded others, and were themselves shot and killed. The attack has left the entire consulate shaken and rattled. The next few days and weeks will be difficult ones as we mourn the loss of life on our very doorstep.

During training, we were told it was not a matter of if, but when we would experience a terrorist attack. Who could have known "when" would come so soon into my first tour? My beliefs about the security of the world I live in where challenged today; as were some of my beliefs about myself. And now, at the end of the day, I go to bed with questions and a deep, deep sadness.