Sunday, November 7, 2010

Here I Am In Honduras

Well, it's been shamefully long since my last post - nearly a year. And in that year, I've left Istanbul, spent 5 weeks on Home Leave (best invention EVER! Thank you Congress!), bummed around D.C. for 5 weeks (i.e. for training), and moved to Tegucigalpa, Honduras.

Life here is settling into it's own patterns and rhythms and they are very different from those in Istanbul. Tegucigalpa is hardly a cosmopolitan metropolis so the rhythms are slower, the patterns less rushed. I'm taking this time to check a couple things off my bucket list, including taking horseback riding lessons and reintegrating yoga into my life.

As far as work goes, I'm now in the Regional Security Office so the work is much different from what I was doing in Istanbul. I work longer hours than I think I ever have in my life. No, I take that back - I know I've never had longer work days than this. That has been a learning experience in it's own right - learning to leave things unfinished until the next day certainly didn't come easily to me and has been a challenge. I think I've got the hang of it now, though!

Jason and I continue our long distance marriage (he in Troy, NY - where he is kicking butt at being a student again and honing his rugby skills - and me here in Tegucigalpa). Managing a long distance marriage has turned out to be quite similar to managing a long distance engagement or dating relationship. We've become pros at it, though we are thoroughly enjoying being able to see each other more often and for longer periods of time (second best invention ever is the month long winter break at RPI which means we'll be able to spend a whole 4 weeks together!).

I just received my second HHE (Household Effects) shipment from the States and will be making a little project out of it. This is all stuff I haven't seen since 2004 and as I unpack these boxes from a couple lifetimes ago, I'll be posting pictures of the most entertaining (and possibly embarrassing) things I come across.

For now, you'll have to content yourself with some photos of my time between Istanbul and Tegucigalpa.

Me, Grandpa Reif, and Jason in Cunningham, KS


A long weekend in Utila, Honduras diving. Yeah! Utila Dive Center - best dive center I've encountered.


Jason (in the middle) playing rugby with the RPI men's team


With Karen & Preeti in D.C.